Monday, February 27, 2012

Is 3 the new 2?

Photo from Pottery Barn Kids
It seems everywhere I go lately, I hear people talking about whether or not to have a third child. Right now I seem to be surrounded by people who are having their third. I always imagined I would have a large family—I am the oldest of three and my husband is the oldest of five. But I have to admit... these days I feel like I have my hands very full with my two girls. And sometimes, just sometimes, I see a glimpse that life might be getting just the teensiest bit easier. I have loved every minute (well, almost every minute) of the craziness that has been my life while raising my girls over the past almost 4 years. But do i want to do it again? 


Then there are all the reasons people will tell you not to have a third: You'll be outnumbered, you won't have enough time to give each child the attention they need, paying for college will be challenging, the world is overpopulated. All valid points.  


But I just can't help but think that my little family is not yet complete...


And then there are the reasons to have a third: Another sibling for my girls to grow and laugh with, someone to help teach the older children that they are not always the center of the universe (an important lesson), another baby to snuggle and fall in love with, and I always hear that you will never regret having another child, but you might look back and regret not having one more baby.


So what do you think? Is two the perfect number? Or is three the new two? Do you have three children? If so, what was the transition like from two to three? Are you thinking about having a third... or even fourth? 

No comments:

Post a Comment