Monday, June 23, 2014

Kindness week


Maybe it is the hot summer air or maybe just the transition from school schedule to summer, but my girls have been arguing with each other A LOT. So I decided to make our first week at home all about being kind. We're starting off today making these warm fuzzy jars from Hands Free Mama. I hope this simple tool will help L & E to think before they yell at each other or ignore me when I ask then to do something. And I think it will help us all focus more on the good. 


We also checked out some books from the library, each about kindness. We'll start our day today with Be Nice to Spiders by Margaret Bloy Graham. For the rest of the week we have lined up: 
The Kindness Quilt by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
How to Heal a Broken Wing by Bob Graham
Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
The Lion and The Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

My big girls are very into dramatic play right now.  They are constantly putting on "shows" of all varieties for anyone who will watch so I'm planning to have them put on their own little play at the end of the week focusing on being kind.

Do you ever have themed weeks at home for your children? What do you do to encourage peace and quiet kindness at your house? Do you have any additional book suggestions or activities to add to our Kindness Week? Any wisdom you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment