Monday, June 17, 2013

A summer reading list for the whole family to enjoy


My oldest daughter has really been enjoying chapter books recently so I began to create a summer reading list of books for us to read together. We just finished reading Pippi Longstocking and she has loved it. It had been a while since I read Pippi and I quite enjoyed this hilarious book too. So I thought... why not choose more chapter books that L loves and that I actually like reading too? I think I've done just that with our latest pick. We are reading The Silver Crown now and last night when we finished the chapter we were on, I sent L off to bed. My husband came into our room a few minutes later and caught me still reading. Our conversation went something like this. 

Husband: Are you reading ahead? (smirking)
Me: Well... err.. yes. 
Husband: Didn't you just tell L only one chapter a night?
Me: Um... I need to check ahead to see if it's appropriate for a five-year-old. (guilty smile)

OK, maybe I am enjoying this most recent book a bit too much. Or maybe it is just perfect for our family to read together. I have always been a big fan of Young Adult Literature so why not enjoy this new phase of chapter book reading as much as the kids? 

I don't know if we'll actually get to read all of these titles this summer, but here is our proposed summer reading list:

The Silver Crown

Ballet Shoes

Mary Poppins

The Ordinary Princess

Harriet The Spy

Little House on the Prarie

Do you have a summer reading list? Are you as into Young Adult Literature as I am? Are you reading chapter books with your little ones? What books do you recommend reading together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment