Monday, June 4, 2012

Most popular baby names of 2011: Mason, Jayden or ???


Every year in May, the Social Security Administration releases the most popular names of the previous year. A few weeks ago, the top 10 (along with top 1000) names of last year were published and there were a few surprises in the top 10 boys names, at least for me!


Jacob coming in at number one isn't such a shock, but I really didn't expect Mason to be the runner up. How did this name jump to second place so quickly? In 2010 Mason was number twelve. Then I did a quick bit of research via google and found out the reason. The name Mason has been rising for years, but when Kourtney Kardashian named her son Mason at the end of 2009, we just couldn't help follow suit. And why not, nameberry writes of Mason, "an occupational surname that's been heating up for several years, a fresher sounding replacement for the Jason we've moved way beyond, in step with the newer style Cason/Kason."


Now Jayden completely shocked me this year too and I'm not sure why. Jayden holds steady at number 4 as it was in 2010. Why don't I remember it even in the top 100 in 2010? And in 2009 Jayden was listed at number 8. Where have I been? I thought Jayden was more popular as a girl's name. Then I did a little more celebrity research and found that of course, Britney Spears named her son Jayden. 


So a few lessons I have learned: 
1. I might need to catch up on my US Weekly and 
2. Start watching those celebrity baby names now and I might just be able to predict the top 10 names of 2013!


Are you surprised by the quick rise of Mason or Jayden? Or are you all caught up on your celebrity news and knew this was coming years ago? What new rising stars do you predict will be in the top ten for 2012? 


To see the full list of popular names from 2011 go to the Social Security Administration website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment