Monday, April 8, 2013

A very british easter

It's taken 5 years of having children in England to finally realize that my kids are having a different upbringing than I had. How did I discover this? I sent Sona a picture from our friends annual Easter party and her response was "I would blog about that, but I have no idea what you are talking about". So there it is. My kids are British. They have brown eggs, so they don't do the dyeing eggs like we did as kids, but there are some super fun things that I have enjoyed every year, probably because it involves my favourite past time - competition.

The week before Easter, at school they have an assembly which, would you believe, they actually are allowed to mention Jesus. They also then have an "Easter Bonnet" competition where the kids do a little parade in the hats they made and the teachers pick a winner. Then, they have an egg roll competition, which is exactly how it sounds.  The kids all line up and try to roll their boiled egg into the center of a target on the ground.

My friends Andy and Claire have an annual party which is hard to tell who enjoys it more, the kids or the grown ups, but I have put some highlights from this years event:
Egg Hunt
Competition Entry Table - Wayne's was the Gruffalo scene top right corner
For some reason, the judges thought a child should win instead!?

Dad's Egg and Spoon Race

Grandma's and Auntie's race

Mum's race - who said I'm competitive?

Happy Kids and a Happy Easter!
Do any of you have any fun traditions like the Brits? A big thank you to Andy and Claire for letting us share this Love and Life moment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment