Monday, January 2, 2012

New year's resolution: 52 weeks to an organized home!


Photo from Pottery Barn

I'm the type of person who desperately wants to be organized. I crave an organized closet like a drug. I get strangely elated by looking at magazine photos of organized entryways, mud rooms, and closets. My dream would be to have every little thing in my home placed in the perfect drawer, basket, shelf, or closet at all times. And I do try to get organized and stay that way, but there is always overflow that begins to slowly pile up in a secret drawer somewhere, and then on the shelf over my desk, and then in the entry way "organizer," and then… well I think you get the picture. It gets to the point where these small piles of overflow become overwhelming and an impossible chore to tackle. And then of course there are my children who I of course love dearly, but who are constantly messing with my (not so) organized home by taking anything they can find that is actually in a proper place and relocating it to a pile on my bed or in a corner behind the couch, which is as you can imagine—a total nightmare for me.

Photo from BHG

We came across 52 Weeks to an Organized Home at Home Storage Solutions and decided to make organizing our homes a resolution this year. You simply sign up with your email address and receive a weekly challenge from the folks at Home Storage Solutions. As much as I would like to have my entire house organized overnight, that's probably not a realistic goal. And this way, I'm hoping that once I get each weekly task done, I can keep it pretty organized moving forward. It all sounds very doable, right? 


Photo from Land of Nod


Are you a secret wanna-be organizer like me—check out that Land of Nod kid's closet (swoon). Do you simply want to get rid of the clutter and things that don't matter to make room for the things that do matter in your life? I know I do. 




The first challenge of the year begins today and is kitchen countertops and sink. I feel like I have a bit of a head start on this since we just finished our kitchen renovation this fall, but looking at this photo above, I realize that my kitchen could already use a good cleaning and polishing to get back to it shiny newness of October! Join us for the challenge and let us know here on the blog or on facebook how it's going for you!


http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/organized-home.html


Happy New Year!


Elizabeth & Sona

No comments:

Post a Comment