Monday, September 8, 2014

The best (and easiest) granola

Photo from Martha Stewart Living

In these back to school days, I am trying not to stress about silly things like lunches but that is easier said than done. I will be packing two lunches starting this week which is a big jump from packing only one lunch one day a week last year. That said, I'm trying to get organized. I've been packing lunches the night before for starters. And I'm also trying to have lots of easy, healthy breakfast choices on hand. This yummy granola recipe is super easy and my kids (two out of three anyway) love it. I got a similar recipe from my friend Alyce a few years ago and have adapted it here and there. Mine still doesn't taste quite as good as hers does, but I think that credit is due more to the baker than the recipe. 

Homemade Granola

Ingredients:
3 cups Old Fashion Rolled Oats
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ * optional
1 cup slivered almonds (you can use any combination of nuts)
1 cup dried cranberries (you can use any combination of dried fruit)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pure maple syrup (1/2-3/4 cup is plenty)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Step 1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Step 2. Stir in the maple syrup and mix until everything is coated.
Step 3. Spread out on baking sheet.
Step 4. Bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes stirring the granola halfway through.

My girls eat it with yogurt, milk, or just by the handful for a quick bite on the go. Now the only problem is that I might love it a little too much...




No comments:

Post a Comment